Sunday, December 16, 2007

Happy Birthday

Today is my birthday. When you have a birthday in December it tends to get wrapped up in Christmas and the new year. People like to give you "combination" birthday and Christmas presents. And you are a year older very near when the world is also a year older (in a calendar sense of the word, of course). It's a time for introspection and resolutions, for family and friends.

For me, this is also one of those nasty "decade" birthdays that appear to exist simply to make a person feel old. It's doing its job well. Of course, it doesn't help that there's a very high decibal party next door with loud music, shouting 20-yr-olds (it's really just conversation, but it's so loud that shouting is the only way to communicate. I know because I popped in last year and nearly went deaf). They share a wall with me and there is a small hallway leading to their front door where one of my windows is. No way to temper that noise level.

No one local is doing anything for my birthday but I've already gotten a great gift from one of my best friends. I also know there will be phone calls from my mom and brothers today, as well as cards.

I'm now going to bake myself a cake. No candles needed. I know how old I am.

6 comments:

whiterabbita said...

I don't know you, but I ended up here: so happy birthday!

Joanna Sandsmark said...

Why thank you very much!

Sherry said...

Happy birthday. My daughter has her birthday two days from Christmas and we have vowed to always celebrate her birthday as her birthday, no double as presents. Have a great time and if you really want to sock it to the twenty somethings, put on some classical music and blast it back.

L. Lemanski said...

I may have posted on your blog once or twice . . . Happy Birthday! As for those decade birthdays, they say 40 is the new 30 and 50 is the new 40! That makes sense since all the twenty-somethings act like . . . well, you know . . . babies. I can make fun of them now that I'm no longer in my 20s!

Ed Wyrd said...

I am so sorry! I meant to say Happy Birthday but for some reason the firewall at work won't let me post on your blog and at home, well, things have just been so hectic with the holidays on the way and other issues.

But, here, I'll say it twice: Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday!

Shamelle said...

Belated birthday wishes. My b'day is on the 2nd of Dec and I know what you mean when you say you get combined gifts! :-)


All the best for the new year.
Sham
http://enhancelifethinktank.blogspot.com/