Saturday, November 24, 2007

Malibu is on fire again

It's always a horrible feeling to wake up and see that Southern California is yet again burning. This time it's Malibu and possibly some part of San Diego. The local coverage was all about Malibu (photos are from the L.A. Times). 35 homes burned so far, an enormous wall of smoke and thousands of acres destroyed. They don't yet know the cause but the subtext was a strong suspicion it was arson.

I don't understand the minds of arsonists. I don't understand how anyone can get pleasure out of seeing nature, homes, and people destroyed. There are a lot of people whose brains are wired wrong. Or maybe it's some childhood trauma. I don't know. I just know that I hope the penalty for arson on this scale takes away the person's ability to ever set a fire again.

To the people of Malibu, my heart goes out to you.

2 comments:

Virginia Lee said...

Fire terrifies me. I have been sending good vibes out that way ever since I heard.

If it was arson, I hope they find the perps and throw the book at them. Such destructiveness is beyond my ken.

Joanna Sandsmark said...

According to the news the fire was started by "human activity." This means it wasn't deliberate, but could've been started by anything, including stupidity. Sometimes fires are started by cars backfiring, or a tossed cigarette, or who knows what. I suppose it's a little comfort that it wasn't arson, but not much for those who lost their homes.

Thank you for your thoughts, Virginia.